Saturday, February 2, 2008

Nate Has a New Hobby

In an attempt to get our apartment a little more organized so that we have room for the baby Nate took it upon himself to build us a bookshelf. We had to borrow some tools from our Home Teacher and our front room became the workshop (because it was below zero for about two weeks; therefore too cold to work out on the deck). After a few trips to Lowes for supplies and ideas Nate was able to pull of a very good looking bookshelf. I think he enjoyed it a little too much because he started contemplating dropping out of med school and becoming a carpenter.
It was supposed to be stained a dark wood color, but the stain we tried at first was a nasty brown color (and it had the most potent smell ever) so we had to cover it up with white paint.
As we have been looking for cribs and realizing they cost a fortune Nate threw out the idea that maybe he should build a crib...I think I am going to have to say no to that one. As much as I like the bookshelf the crib idea scares me a little.




3 comments:

ATWOOD said...

Wow, Nate did a good job on the bookshelf!! Good job Nate, don't quit "your day job" though :-) As for the crib...we bought all of Ethan's furniture for $600 on e-bay - and it is beautiful if I do say so myself. I'm sure you could even get a better deal since we went all out and got a 5 peice set. I also found some other good deals if your interested.

Maggie said...

I love the bookshelf. Nate's quite the handy man. I would say yes to him building a cradle but no to a crib. Who knows though, it could end up being an amazing family heirloom. I would check on Craigslist for cribs. Check in Iowa and in Utah and then if you find a good deal someone can pick it up for you. We got Gracie's crib for $55 and although it isn't my dream nursery crib, it has been great. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Ashley said...

I can't believe he made that..hello talent! It looks awesome, totally professional!!