Friday, February 8, 2008

Does this not sound so divine?!!!

I was watching the TODAY show a few days ago (it is good that I have a job to keep me busy now or else I would spend the whole morning plopped in front of the t.v. watching the TODAY show, followed by Rachel Ray), and they had this fabulous recipe for French Toast. I am going to try it this weekend, but I thought I would share the goodness with you and let you try it as well.

YUMMY!

Crème brûlée French Toast
Makes six servings

This highly rated recipe from Epicurious.com is a cinch to prepare — and one of the tastiest breakfasts you’ll ever eat!Why not marry two of the most delicious dishes of all — crème brûlée and French toast? This easy and extremely popular recipe can be prepared the night before and baked in the oven the next morning. You can spice it up even more by cutting the bread with heart-shaped cookie cutters and then serving it to your loved one on Valentine’s Day.

INGREDIENTS
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
An 8- to 9-inch round loaf country-style bread
5 large eggs
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon Grand Marnier or Orange Juice
1/4 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
In a small heavy saucepan melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat, stirring, until smooth and pour into a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish. Cut six 1-inch thick slices from center portion of bread, reserving ends for another use, and trim crusts. Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit.
In a bowl whisk together eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, Grand Marnier, and salt until combined well and pour evenly over bread. Chill bread mixture, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.
Preheat oven to 350° F and bring bread to room temperature.
Bake bread mixture, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
Serve hot French toast immediately.
© 2008 Epicurious. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

Kathlen said...

Hey Megan!! I am glad that I found your blog. I am so happy for you, being a mom is great. Jon likes French toast so I am going to try your recipe. Feel free to check out our blog. www.wierschkefamily.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

I'm so glad that you posted this!!! This is so what I'm surprising Logan with for Vday breakfast. And we all know I'm not a very good morning person, so i'm VERY excited this can be done the night before!

Yea for your yummy recipes! Thanks Megos!

Jen and Ty said...

Tucky! I have been thinking about you and hope your pregnancy is going well. That picture you posted a while ago made me jealous cause you look amazing (unlike myself who is quite the pudge). Your French toast sounds amazing! I would love to talk to you soon...I lost my phone and therefore lost all my phone numbers, so if you get a chance to give me a call or email me your number, that would be wonderful! Talk to you soon!