Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Ignoring the advice...

I have been a little fanatical about reading the books on pregnancy, trying to be as informed as I can. I have now decided that much of the info isn't that helpful. I read about the glucose tolerance test and was scared to death to have to drink the gooey orange liquid. All the comments in the book made it sound like it was going to be the most disgusting thing I would ever consume. One even said she wished she had taken someone with her to drive her home because she felt all weak and shaky. I had my appointment today to get tested for gestational diabetes so I made sure to get subs to instruct all my classes at the gym because I thought for sure I wouldn't be feeling up to teaching. I was seriously nervous as I opened the bottle and took a drink. To my surprise it wasn't that bad. Ok, maybe not something I would order at a restaraunt but definitely not the worst things in the world. And definitely not something to get all worked up about. I am sure pregnancy has many other things to worry about beyond the orange goo. So from now on...no more advice from the drama department. Good news is I passed the glucose test with flying colors. It is a good thing because it would be a long 3 1/2 months without sugar! I don't have any weird cravings but I love my treats!

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Yeah, some of those books go a little overboard. Glad you are healthy. Can you still bend in half or do you have to squat to pick things up off the floor?

MBurt said...

Drama is a good way to put it. I had fun laughing at all the stupid people. Like "Should I wear a seatbelt while I'm pregnant?" Da, of course you should because if you crash... Okay I won't go off!

Meg said...

Maybe you should start listening to your husband instead of listening to all those dumb books he tells you to stop reading!!

musson said...

I do agree!! I did the same thing and I even got a a lecture from a nurse. Let me tell you that was fun