Saturday, May 2, 2009

I survived...

(Jess, Annie, Caleb, Amanda and Megan)
FYI-Annie beat all us girls and she is 5 months pregnant. Her biking skills were far superior to mine.
Today was the big sprint triathlon. And yes I did survive, but barely:). In truth it was fun, but I was soooooo unprepared for the bike ride. Who knew that 18 miles on a bike could nearly drive me to madness. I was for sure it would be the swimming that would kill me. For those of you not familiar with Iowa terrain, it is all about the rolling hills. Whoever made up this course found about every hill possible for us to ride.
First of all I used my mtn. bike so I looked like such a nerd. But at least I could use it as an excuse as all the other riders on fancy bikes with fancy gear flew by me. Seriously there were a few that went by so fast I thought it was a car coming up behind me. I had to have looked like I was having a hard time because every person that passed me would cheer and say "you are doing great!" One guy even asked if I needed anything so I really must have looked like I was dying. Apparently I wear my emotions on the outside. There were quite a few times as I started trudging up another hill that I just thought "you have got to be kidding me". And there were a few times I was worried that I had taken the wrong path because I couldn't see anyone in front or behind me. Fortunately it was a very pretty ride through the green fields.
By the time I got to the run I really couldn't get my legs to move fast. I was warned by everyone that the bike to run transition was the hardest part and they were right. I have no idea how anyone does an Olympic triathlon. The thought of running a half marathon after the killer bike ride is not appealing at all.
It was fun to cross the finish line and see Nate and Cambri cheering for me. I am glad that they came because that is what kept me going to the end.
If I can get Nate to do a triathlon with me we just might sign up for one later this summer when we are in Utah or Idaho. I would love to train for one with him. If you would have asked me during the race I would have told you there was not a chance I would do this again, but I really think this might become of little summer hobby of mine.
Thanks to my cheering squad! I love you!
Sorry for the lack of pictures. We used or video camera to take the still shots and our computer is too old for the memory card so I can't get our pics off of it. As soon as I get the rest I will post them.


10 comments:

Mathis and Kari said...

Good Job Megan!!! You are my inspiration to get my butt in gear, and do something like this. I'm glad you survived :)

Brandon and Jenn said...

Good for you-- that's quite an accomplishment. I impressed that you did it all with so little training. You're my hero.

The Morton's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Morton's said...

WAY TO GO MEGGY!!!! Oh how envious I am of the shape you're in!!! You have such a killer bod and who would have known you had a baby like not so long ago! You are such a go getter and you motivate me to get back to what was once a hobby of mine- working out! Too bad I would probably die if I tried something like this...

Everett said...

You are awesome, but also a little bit crazy with one breath you are talking about being killed by a triathlon, and the next you are ready to do another one. Props to you I say.

B and J said...

Congrats on making it through! I totally applaud you! I've wanted to do something like this for awhile, but I haven't done it yet. You're like a little inspiration!

MBurt said...

I really think they are addicting. Too bad my life cycles from being in great shape to being pregnant. I am looking forward to this fall when I could possibly do something... and for sure next summer when I'll be done breast feeding and able to really go for it. Way to go on finishing strong. I am sure you did great! If you figure out how to get your husband to sign on with you, let me know!

Amy said...

Yay for Megan! I am just proud you tried! That is so awesome and I bet it was a crazy good feeling to have completed. Cute cheering squad!

Nikki said...

Inspiration!

Becky said...

You are awesome! I wish I had your body now--the third kid did me in! However, I did sign up for a 1/2 marathon in August. Now, if I could ever just stay healthy enough to consistently train. I keep getting stupid colds from my kids and not getting enough sleep. It seems like I have to keep starting over again. Anyway, I applaud you triathlon efforts!!