Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Because I am crazy!

A while back I blogged about participating in the Dam to Dam race here in Des Moines. Well...when I started doing my training my knees totally gave out on me. As soon as I run more than 3 or 4 miles they ache like crazy and give out on me when I try to walk up and down stairs. I decided that it probably wasn't worth it just to prove that I could do it.

So instead I have decided to do a sprint triathlon. Only problem is it on May 2nd and I just started training for it this last Monday. That gives me a whopping 2 weeks to prepare. I went swimming for the first time on Monday and it nearly killed me. I swam down and back and thought I was going to die. This could be a problem considering I am supposed to swim down and back 10x for the race. Luckily there are no technicalities about how you swim and I am pretty good at the doggie paddle. So one way or another I will get from point A to point B. If I wasn't so competitive it wouldn't be a big deal. I don't expect to win, but I want to be good. I have this same problem with tennis. I really like playing tennis but I am not good at it. I get frustrated very quickly and start trying to kill the ball. And that just makes me more mad. But I am going to try really hard to put my pride aside and control my competitive side and just aim to finish the triathlon. I have a feeling it is going to be a matter of survival as I am gulping for air in the pool so I don't really think I have much of a choice but to eat my pride. I am a little concerned as to how I am supposed to get on a bike for 18 miles and run for 5K after being completely demolished by the pool. But hey it is just fun and games right? Kind of crazy that I am paying someone to do this to myself.

If anyone wants to join me you still have a week and a half to get ready:)


Lets just hope I don't come in very last! (Not that there is anything wrong with that).

Here are some random pics of our visit to Utah-



Our cute baby girl on Easter afternoon.


I always knew that I would love being a mom but I never knew that I would find so much joy in such simple everyday things. I love that she sleeps with her bum in the air. I just can't get enough of it!

This is for Chels. Jake is just too cute!

We discovered sugar free suckers. They are still super messy but what a life saver. I will be using them on any future plane rides
Cambri helping me unpack the suicase.

I can't believe how big she is getting. Everyday gets more fun! She is starting to grow some hair...yeah! It is a pretty auborn color. I love it.

7 comments:

Mathis and Kari said...

I'm so glad you were able to come to the party on Easter! It was so good to see you, and get to meet Cambri :) Good Luck with the triathalon! Love ya

Nikki said...

You can do it!!! Wish I was going to be in town that day to cheer you on.

I love the Easter pics and the shirt that you made Cambri is awesome. Good Job, Mom!

Annie and Caleb Pinegar said...

yeah don't remind me that you almost lapped me on our run. You can totally finish it I bet you actually place really well in your division. So don't stress and have fun.

The Morton's said...

I loved that I finally got to meet Cambri and I think we have the two cutest kids on the planet!!!!! I hope we can get them together as much as we can throughout their lives. I love you Tucky and you are such a wonderful friend!!!
p.s Thanks for posting the pics of Jake!!! Good for you on all your marathon stuff!!!! I am amazed at your dedication!!! You need to help me have that same kind of devotion I have fallen of the fitness wagon for sure!!!

MBurt said...

Hey, I'm sorry we missed you when you were in town. We were in St. George. Cambri is a doll and is getting so big. As for the triathlon, way to go. You'll love it.... when it's over! Here's my advice. Practice getting off the bike and running. It is the hardest transition and takes major brain power to get your legs to do the right thing. Also, I was pleasantly surprised at all the ages and varying fitness levels at mine. It relaxed me a lot because I knew I wouldn't be last. Oh, as far as the swim, it's all in the kick. It's easy to focus on your arms and breathing and forget to kick and that's what really counts. I learned that the hard way. Okay, enough from me. Good luck, I can't wait to hear about it and see pics.

Maggie said...

Funny about Marinda's comment, because I was planning on telling you to practice running after the swim (not far- just to the transition area). I just have found that I'm always really dizzy after trying to swim so fast. To me it feels like trying to run after you put your head on a baseball bat and run around in circles 3 times. Good luck!

Trent and Julie said...

You can do it!! I did do a sprint once and it was fun!!