Monday, May 4, 2009

Sewing Obsession...

I decided to try sewing a few months back and I am addicted. I am not the fastest sewer so I haven't made that much yet. Mostly because I can only sew when the little one is sleeping. But I have big plans to make more. I want to attempt some frilly dresses. The red polk-a-dot shirt that Cambri has on was my first project. I actually had to figure out a way to alter the shirt because Cambri's head was too big and I couldn't get it on her. She gets the big head from her dad:). Hopefully it comes with big brains. It turned out cute but you can't look too close or else you can see the many imperfections.
This little skirt was my latest project. I think it is super cute on her. Don't mind the laundry in the back ground. I have to wait for Cambri to go to bed to fold the laundry because she finds it rather fun to unfold everything. BTW miss Cambri is 11 months today. She is so close to walking but doesn't really have the desire or confidence yet. Today she stood for about 5 seconds on her own but she always sits down once she realizes she isn't holding onto anything. I am kind of glad she isn't too anxious to grow up fast.

So far I have only conquered skirts. I am not sure if I dare try pants or anything with a zipper. Buttonholes are no problem though because my new sewing machine is awesome and does it for me. I love my sewing machine.

I got the pattern for both the skirt and shirt from this website www.oliverands.com. It isn't the cheapest but the patterns are so cute. They have a fun blog that I check often. There are a few other patterns I hope to try. I also want to try and make window treatments. My aunt makes all her own stuff and I love it. I just wish fabric wasn't so expensive.
If any of you have fun sewing projects I would love to hear about them.
Oh yes, one more thing. I am in love with the Spring weathr we have been having! The last few days have been glorious. It is so much easier to get up and moving when the sun is shining, the birds are churping and the flowers are in bloom. We survived yet another long dreary winter!





8 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow! You have a hidden talent. Nice work. They really are very cute. I think I need to come over for some sewing lessons.

sarita said...

I'll take one in Maddie's size and another in mine--I love it!

She looks adorable.

Diana said...

Megs, those are so cute. Have you ever made pillow case dresses? They are so easy and super cute. You could sell your stuff on Esty. If you don't know what that is check out etsy.com. Congrats on the Tri, you are awesome. Love Di

Ashlee said...

check out allison's sewing blog! www.cluckclucksew.blogspot.com it's mostly quilting and such but definitely inspiring! :)

The Morton's said...

I love them!!! You have so many talents!

Mathis and Kari said...

Cute Cute Cute! I found those patterns, and I will get them in the mail for you. You are going to love them. From what are heard they are super simple, but look like you paid mega bucks for in some super chic boutique store :) Also look on my blog, and go the Chelsea's blog. She has a lot of fun places to visit on her blog for fabric too. She always does some free giveaways too! Can't wait to see ya again next month :)

Jen and Ty said...

I am super impressed Tucky! I got a hand-me-down sewing machine and haven't gotten the courage to really try anything yet. I tried to call you a couple times yesterday but got a weird message saying that all circuts were busy. I will try again today! We need to catch up!

Becky said...

I hear you on the sewing addict. I just can't seem to find the time to sew anymore. I have 4 sewing projects waiting on the wings. Hopefully I will get to them before the patterns don't fit! The shirt and skirt you made Cambri were super cute--love them! Have you ever made a twirly skirt? They are super easy. I made one for Eliza and my neices last year. Problem is, Eliza has a perky bum like mine, so skirts don't really work on her. Poor girl, I know the life she has to look forward to.:( Anyway, you can google twirly skirt tutorial, or I think I have the link and I can email it to you. Keep me posted on fun projects and patterns you find!