Monday, January 10, 2011

My quest to get back in shape...

Yes I am one of the millions of people who made the New Year's resolution to get in shape. Because once upon a time I had arms that looked like this...

And a belly that looked like this...



And now my arms look like this...

...and there is no need to share what my belly looks like. Trust me, it looks nothing like the picture above. Yes I could use the excuse that I just had a baby 3 months ago. But I know many people that have had many more babies than I have and they have rockin' bodies. I want to be like them. So I begin my journey doing p90x. I have also heard Insanity is pretty amazing so I will probably give that a try.

Working out as a mommy is definitely more challenging than pre-baby days. Especially since I am not teaching any group x classes. Trying to find time to exercise can be challenging, but I have always believed that my health is worth the time I must invest to be in shape. No, I don't need a rockin' body...that is just motivation to get my butt moving. But I do want to be a healthy mom who sets a good example for my girls.

I know one of the hardest parts about getting in shape is the results don't show up over night. Working out is hard and not always fun, and the scale doesn't always show the numbers we want to see. I am trying my best not to have the number on the scale be my goal. I truly just want to feel good.

I haven't worked out yet today so I guess I better stop talking and get moving...and put the chocolate down:).



10 comments:

MBurt said...

Oh, you go girl. I'm super excited to join the band wagon once I've had a little recovery time. It's my first time having a winter baby so I should be able to work out all summer. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to do it with three kids but like you... I know I need it. Especially to avoid the INSANITY! What's awesome is that you can find pictures of yourself to motivate, not a lot of people can do that. Right now I just want my skinny face back that I see in pictures. Ahh, water retention. I want to hear about P90X. Have you done it before? I heard Chalene Extreme is similar and also great. Good luck!

Unknown said...

I tried p90x but between three holidays and a trip to the ER with a ruptured cyst I didn't finish it. Good luck. I am sure you will do great. Your girls are so cute.

Cassie said...

you have inspired me, i need to get moving too!

Mariah said...

Yeah, Yeah, YEAH!! You'll love P90X, I'm so glad that you're doing it. I still cannot get over how awesome it was. We just started round 2, so I'm right there with you. Miss you, and you look much better than you think you do. We're always our own worst critic.

Becky said...

In my opinion you still look fantastic! But, I know what you are talking about. It's so hard to to see a hard body go, well, soft. It wasn't until baby #3 that I gave my hubby an ultimatum that I needed him to go to work later (7:30 am) so I could go to the gym. It has been the best thing ever for me. But still, my body isn't what it was. I just want to be hard and not jiggly. I am not excited about getting back some muscles after baby #4. I guess it's good to have a challenge though. It will be awesome when the kiddos are all in school and I can really dedicate some time to the exercises I love. Until then, I guess I need to be content to be a soft mommy for kids to love. :) Good luck with P90X. Let me know what you think of it. I'm curious. . . .

Maggie said...

Good luck! I hope it goes well. I'm in the same boat. I always think of a friend that I told she looked great after having a baby. She said, "yeah, but you don't have to see me naked". Too funny. I'll be excited to hear about your P90X progress.

Hayley Nelson Potter said...

Good luck!!

Bekah said...

Megan! Brad and I started P90X 2 weeks ago and I really like it. I think I'm going to need to do it a few times though! I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on losing weight while nursing. I tried to cut my calories just to 1700 (not that low, right?) and have started to lose my milk so I'm back up to 2000, and my weight loss has halted! :( Anyway, you're inspiring, keep blogging about it! Love ya!

Brandon and Jenn said...

Pregnancy really takes a toll on work out routines. I have cut way back to 2-3 gym visits a week and what I do now is so lame compared to what I used to be able to do. I'm excited for this baby to come and my body to heal so that I can get back into my routine. I love the way I feel when I'm physically challenging myself. So, I totally understand your plight... btw, you still look great even if you don't have huge guns anymore!

Unknown said...

Hey Megan! It's Ashley johanson, I just wondered what organization you are certified to teach through. Will you email me ajohanson21@yAhoo.com