Sunday, September 13, 2009

Way out of my league...

A few weeks ago I was asked to serve as the organist for our ward. Only problem is I have NEVER played the organ before. The Bishop was aware of this so he gave me the challenge to learn and said I could play the piano in the mean time if I needed to. Nothing like being stretched beyond your abilities. I was actually very excited about the challenge because I have always wanted to learn to play the organ. I just never thought I would be learning by self teaching.

Things have gone well so far... except for today. While playing a hymn that I am sure most people were not that familiar with, I somehow tapped a button with one of my fingers and all sound was turned off. I was horrified! I couldn't figure out what was wrong. The power was still on so I had a moment of panic. Everyone in the congregation continued to sing, a little unsure how to proceed. Luckily I only had a brain fart for a second and realized I needed to press a button on the front of the organ to reset everything. There really are too many buttons on the organ and I know how to use about 2 of them. After the congregation sang acapella for about one line of the song (can you imagine how awkward that was for everyone) I came in right on que to finish out the verse. I wanted to start laughing and if I would have looked at anyone I probably would have. I am so out of my league!!! Oh well, it can only go up from here. Or at least I hope so:)
Just look at all those buttons...so intimidating!

9 comments:

Nikki said...

I love how your always up for a challenge and can laugh at yourself! You make me want to be better at that kind of stuff!

P.S. Will I get to see you play when we visit?

MBurt said...

Wow, you are brave. I am always impressed with organists! Way to go.

sam and brittney said...

I am so impressed! I would be scared out of my mind!

Annie and Caleb Pinegar said...

I have to admit I did chuckle a bit but I was really impressed that you did pick it back up so quickly and start playing again. My fingers and brain would have been all messed up! Good job. You are awesome.

Brandon and Jenn said...

Yikes! I am never going to complain about feeling overwhelmed in a calling again. Way to go Megs!

M and M said...

Oh Meg! You have always been an amazing pianist! I am sure you are doing a great job... good luck with it!

Tappia said...

Oh Megan I know just how you feel. That's exactly what they did to me too! I pretty much had to learn by trial and error...emphasis on the error part. Don't worry after a while, when you mess up it won't even phase you anymore :) Good Job! Nobody realizes how difficult that job actually is...

The Rencher Family said...

I'm sure you are doing a great job and it's fun to learn something new. We need to take a mini-trip and come see you guys sometime. Maybe a road trip next summer!!

Melissa Chorba said...

hey - I found your blog on Annie's (told you I'm an internet stalker :P) and just have to say you did EXCELLENT. Seriously, you came back in perfectly, and it's good to keep the chorister on her toes ;).