Friday, September 25, 2009

She's a biter!...

It all starts innocent...

The two little ones begin playing and chasing eachother. They giggle and it is super cute. They even seem to share for a moment. And then...
Cambri decides to try and dance with George. It may sound like fun, but George doesn't like it much. I wonder why.


And then she takes his favorite truck away. George's truck is his best friend...you don't mess. But since Cami is bigger she takes it anyway.


And then they start to wrestle. Again it starts out innocent...but soon Cami is smashing George.


...And trying to attack him.

It would all be in the name of fun except before you can stop her she chomps her teeth into George's back. These battle wounds are minor compared to some in the past. She got a hold of his leg once and left a bruise in the form of her little chompers for days.

They really are best buddies and they get so excited to see eachother but the fun always ends with George in tears because Cams bit him.

Any advice? Does a 16 month old understand any form of discipline? I know she understands when I say no...but that usually isn't enough. It may be a stage that she will soon outgrow, but if there is anything I can do in the meantime I am so ready to try.

6 comments:

Melissa Chorba said...

My 17 month old niece has an AWFUL problem with biting EVERYONE. After she bites she even giggles about it and will bite herself! This may seem crazy, but a little hot sauce or something really sour should do the trick. It worked with Madison, she stopped after the 2nd time (and my sister received this advice from her ped. so I'm sure it's safe)

sarita said...

I do one minute time-outs with Maddie where I isolate her from everyone (usually by putting her in her crib) and say something like, "How sad! we don't hit. Let's go to time out for one minute." She hates it and screams her guts out but I think it's starting to work.

Good luck!

Maybe you could teach George to bite her back? :)

The Morton's said...

First of all, I can't believe how much hair she has gotten since I have seen her! Jake is still pretty bald. Second, I think all kids go through a biting stage, Jake for a very brief period would get so frustrated he would bite himself!! We thought it was so funny and he quickly learned that wasn't such a good idea.

Becky said...

My nephew was a bad biter when he turned 2, and then my son picked it up and started biting him back. It was an awful combination! I read the two other comments and I think either one of those tactics would work. I wish I would have thought of hot sauce or something sour when I was dealing with that. I just struggled through it. By the way, is Cambri's hair curly?

Maggie said...

I've heard of getting a mini spray bottle and putting vinegar in it. If she does something bad, especially like biting, she gets a spray in her mouth. 18 months is probably a great age to do time outs (one minute per age old)... if you're good at enforcing it now, you'll be so glad later.

MBurt said...

My mom always told us to bite Japeth back when he bit. I don't think kids realize how badly a bite hurts or how strong their jaw is. Maybe a little feel of it would cure it. As for the other advice... mine sounds mean. Sorry.