Sunday, November 16, 2008

Dealing with the inevitable cold weather...

I have been having a little (ok maybe a lot) of anxiety the last few weeks knowing that winter is on its way. It has not been long enough for me to forget just how cold and miserable last winter was. I still remember very clearly one night as I walked outside around 8:00pm and the wind pretty much cut right through me. Not even my big puffy coat could protect me. And let me remind you that I was pregnant and running on a warmer tempurature than usual. As I was walking to my car I thought- "He (Nate) can't make me live here forever. I won't do it." So I am doing my best to make winter bearable. In order to do this I have decided to start getting ready for Christmas early. What better way to deal with cold weather than pretty Christmas lights, yummy ginger bread men, and presents!

Thanks to Nikki she helped to kick off the celebrations... A few of the girls got together at her place to decorate cookies and also help her decorate her Christmas tree. We also all brought cookies and did a little swap. Yummy! Nikki had the party because she wanted to help with the feelings of "homesickness" during the holidays. And thank you miss Nikki. It was the perfect way to kick off the holiday season. And I need to give her props for being the best hostess. She made delicious soup, rolls, and hot cocoa and gave all of us little favors. You can see them in the picture below.

I also spent some time hanging out at Hobby Lobby (which is now my new favorite store) buying some stuff to make fun Christmas decorations. Once I get them all done I will share the pictures with you. And don't worry I didn't forget about Thanksgiving. I bought a few things to spruce up the apartment for this holiday as well. And once the holidays are over I plan on using my newly learned skill of knitting (ok so I haven't learned yet but I plan to) to make cute scarves and beanies. I am going to make winter so much fun I will be sad to see it end:).
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

4 comments:

Brandon and Jenn said...

Way to be positive! We escaped the cold winter season-- thank goodness. Sadly, we moved so far away from it that now we can't go home for the holidays (at least not while I'm preggers). So, I understand the home sickness. Maybe decorating my house will take the edge off, too.

Annie and Caleb Pinegar said...

To make the Des Moines winter better...remember one key word... Hawaii ;) yay!!!

Maggie said...

Well, this just makes me sad that I won't have you around to make my winter jolly. I guess I'll have to do it on my own. Just think- if we were neighbors we could play nintendo and not go outside all day long. :) Cute pictures and fun ideas. I'm excited to see what you got at hobby lobby. Maybe I need to go there too.

Nikki said...

I'm still glad you're here and that you could come to the party!!! I love your thanksgiving decorations... the leaves in your vase are so pretty. Did you get the knitting yet?