Sunday, August 2, 2009

Summer Adventures...

Before I post about our fun adventures I just want to say that I love this picture. Nothing makes me happier than when my little one wants to cuddle me.
Lots of pictures on this post!
After spending time with family in Utah and Idaho we made a trip up to Montana. Nate's brother lives there so we stayed at his place in Helena for a few nights. We also made the trek to Glacier National Park. We camped there for a night and did a quick sight seeing trip the next day. I wish we would have had more time to hike, kayak, and swim. It is so pretty!
The scenery is lot prettier than the people:) Remember we were camping.

This would be our engagement picture:)


Unfortunately our little Cam Bam got sick on the way to Montana. She threw up a few times and ran a crazy fever. Pretty sure she slept all but a few hours a day for a few days. The poor thing was miserable.

The lovely Rencher Clan.
Our Next stop was Mt. Rushmore. Again I wish we would have had more time to explore the Black Hills where this is located. I had no idea that Mt. Rushmore had been turned into such a destination spot. It would have been so much fun to camp here for a few days.



Mt. Rushmore itself was way cooler than we had anticipated. Nate loved it! He said if he were president he would come to this spot to contemplate all his decisions. Probably not a bad place to receive a little inspiration from those who had once been there.



That night we tried to find a hotel. Didn't think we would need a reservation. Who knew that every hotel within an hour would be packed to capacity? On our drive to South Dakota there was no one on the road. Pretty much thought we were the only ones headed to see Mt. Rushmore. The place was a zoo. So for future reference anyone going to Mt. Rushmore, get a hotel before hand.

The next morning we drove through the Badlands. This wasn't my favorite place in the whole world. Maybe it was because we were on a time crunch so we had to get up an hour earlier in order to fit it in. That means a lot when you only got 5 hours to begin with. I ended up sleepig through half of the drive. But Nate enjoyed himself so I guess it was worth it.

I guess it is kind of cool that deposition and erosion could do something like this.
The adventures continue, but they aren't so scenic so I will leave you with this for now. We did make it to Ohio safely and are now just trying to get settled in. I will admit I am a little homesick for Des Moines, but I think I will come to like Sandusky. It is different than I thought it would be. But I am sure it will just take some time to feel like we are at home. It is nice to be settled (at least for a few years).

5 comments:

Cassie said...

Glad you guys got to take a little time to drive back to Ohio! Mt. Rushmore is a fun neat place! When Mitch and I went, we couldn't believe how much there was to do there in that little town area. Definitely want to go back someday! Too bad little Cambri got sick, that is NO FUN!

The Morton's said...

What fun adventures you have been on!! Tomorrow when Jake goes down for his nap I am going to call you so that we can catch up on all the nitty gritty details.

Nikki said...

That picture of the two of you is perfect! You are a cute little family.

MBurt said...

I'm so sad I missed you when you were here. Sounds like you had a blast with family and Lake Powell. I saw Darren at the Morgan County fair and met his cute wife. I seriously need to visit in Ohio, I know I say this no matter where you live but the desire is there. Do you have a place to live?

Becky said...

Brittyn and I have been to Glacier a few times--we love it, but have never felt really prepared to enjoy it to it's fullest. Poor planning. It is sooo beautiful though! I went to Mt. Rushmore when I was a kid and thought it was awesome then. I want to go back now that I'm older (and hopefully more mature) and see it again. Your family is so cute. I hope Cambri is feeling better. Enjoy Ohio! At least you're not in Cleveland. My sister lives there and hates it--grey skies 10 months of the year. :)