Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Hidden Treasures

It doesn't look like much but this little box brought a lot of joy the day it arrived in the mail. My wonderful Grandma found it amongst all her recipes and sent it to me a few weeks ago. It belonged to my sweet momma. It is stuffed full of all her favorite recipes. I felt like I got a little peak into my mom's life as I read through each recipe card. I had originally inquired about my mom's cooking because the theme for the recipe club I attended was "Childhood Favorites". Sadly I couldn't remember much more than the chocolate chip cookies and apple turnovers my mom would make for afterschool snacks. And I am prett sure the turnovers were just the Pillsbury kind. I am sure we were fed many wonderful things but for some reason I don't have many memories of my life prior to age 8. After asking my grandma if she remembered any foods my mom made she dug this recipe box up and sent it to me. I had to laugh when I pulled out the section for salads because it was full of Jell-o salad recipes. I honestly didn't know you could put so many twists on Jell-o. I also found it interesting that some of the recipes called for MSG. I honestly don't know what that seasoning is I just know that all the Chinese restraunts have "NO MSG" painted on their windows.

For those of you who don't know, my mom died almost 19 years ago. Somedays I can't believe it has been that long. As time has passed it isn't painful to think about her. Rather I love remembering her any way I can. I still see her through the eyes of a 7 year old. Which means I place her on a pedistal. A few memories I do have of her are being a room mother at school. I remember her making "units" for me. Not sure if any of you remember the day of "units". Lets just say it is a good thing that fad did not last. I remember her doing my hair and me screaming that it hurt me. I remember singing Madona songs with her in the car. She could do no wrong. I am sure she had her weaknesses but not very many people remember any of them. Because of this I sometimes feel like I will never be as good a mom as she was. The more I learn about her the more I realize she was a very simple women. I wish I had more of her attributes. Whether or not she was perfect she will always be someone I will look to as I learn my role as mom.


About a month after Cambri was born it dawned on me that my mom would have been about the same age as I am right now when she had me. I was home alone with Cambri and I just started crying. I can't even imagine only have 7 short years with my baby girl. I can't help but think that my mom left this world kicking and screaming-because I know I would.


I sit here smiling as I think about her. If you are still reading this entry I want to say thank you for allowing me to reminisce. Hopefully it will get you thinking about your wonderful mom.

15 comments:

Nikki said...

you made me cry. thank you for sharing more about your mom. obviously, i didn't know her, but it sounds like you have more of her attributes than you give your self credit for. she'd be proud of you, i'm sure.

The Morton's said...

What a great treasure that is! One day Cambri will talk about how wonderful you are. Motherhood has for sure made me more grateful for my mom.

Wayman Adventures said...

who knew that something as simple recipes would be as good as gold. Your momma would be super proud of you today:)

ATWOOD said...

What a sweet post! Thank you for posting it. I was in tears as I read, not because I miss your mom like you would, but because I also remember your mom as a perfect and beautiful woman...just like her wonderful daughter!! And I probably won't sleep tonight now thinking about what it would be like to have to leave this earth with such a young family ;-)...JK I'm neurotic enough that I worry about that without anyone saying anything :-)Anyway, I love you megs and I am positive that your mom glows with pride with the woman (and mom) you have become.

sarita said...

Thank you for making me appreciate my mom more. And I agree with the others, I'm sure your mom would be so proud of you and who you have become.

As for Units, I bet we could sew some of those for Maddie and Cambri, don't you think?

Kelly said...

Thank you for sharing this post. It was very touching. What a wonderful treasure to have from your mom. I'm sure your mom is looking down on you everyday and smiling with pride. You are a wonderful mom. Thank you for reminding me to cherish more the memories of my own mother.

Diana said...

You are so sweet. I too have a memory of your mom. Just one. I also remember her as a room mother and for Halloween she dressed up like a black cat and played relay games with us. I remember thinking she was so beautiful. Love you Megs.

Joe and Samantha Vickers said...

Megs, I love you and I love that you posted about your sweet mom. I remember coming to your house and she would have the best cookies and treats to eat anytime that we walked in the door. I know she is looking down on you truly amazed at the wonderful mom you are!
Loves, Sam

Brandon and Jenn said...

So sweet... you made me tear up a little.

Anonymous said...

Megan,

I enjoyed your read--it sure makes me want to not waste time I have with my kids. On a lighter note, I do remember Units, in fact, I think I was Queen of Units. I happened to be in a major sewing kick when they came out (yes, I was just in 6th grade). They were so easy to make that my mom kept on buying me more fabric. I had the one piece jumpsuits, dresses, pants, tops, many belts, you name it! Then, I did the unthinkable! I spent my school clothes money to buy unit material. I was sure I was going to be in style and have lots of Units to choose from all year. So, I made them all and then, just like that, Units were no longer in style and have never been heard of again. And where was I? Stuck wearing my nasty Units all year because I had spent all of my clothes money on them. I was in 7th grade that year--not cool to be in not-in-style units. Needless to say, I survived. . . barely. :)

Robyn said...

Megan,
What a sweet post. Thank you for sharing with us. I am so happy that your grandma came across this recipe box. Truly a treasure!

M and M said...

Meg! That post made me cry! I just started thinking of the times we went swimming in your Grandma's pool and our mom's would sit on the side and chat, or a few sleepovers that I vaguely remember when your mom was still here. She was an amazing woman... someone my mom holds in high regard. I am sure you are just as amazing as she was and have so many of her qualities. I am so happy that you have your sweet little girl and that life is treating you well. Take care and keep in touch. Love you... Mindee (Brown) Taylor

Hayley Nelson Potter said...

That is such a neat story, thanks for sharing!

MBurt said...

Thanks a lot for making me cry. I know you are an excellent mom. I think it's super exciting to get the recipe box. I wonder how many other hidden treasures are at your grandmas. Oh and ps. Monosodiumglucate or something like that is what MSG stands for. You really can buy it.

Angela and Jim said...

Meg-I'm sure your a wonderful mom. Your a wonderful friend and that kindness will just carry on to your children. I missed you in VA with Chelsy it was so fun to see her. Maybe next time we can all come and visit you.
love ya