Thursday, January 10, 2008

Am I a bad person?...

I was made aware a few days ago that Jen the , group exercise director at Aspen (essentially my boss) was probably going to be let go. Or should we say forced to resign. Apparently the company wants her to work 40 hours in the gym instead of from home like she has been doing for the past 7 years. She has a baby and one on the way and does not want to be away from them. They also told her she was overpaid and that no one liked her. They dropped this bomb four days before Christmas. I have become quite close with Jen so we had a good long conversation about it on Sunday. On Wednesday as I was walking out of the gym Jason, one of the owner/manager guys, stopped me and basically offered me her position. It would basically be for the next three months because I too do not want to work full time once the baby comes. They told me this was okay and that I would just help them until they can find a full-time employee. The money would be great and the experience would be amazing...but am I a bad person for even considering it. The company wouldn't even be considering me if it weren't for Jen and all that she did for me. I have to make this decision asap because they want me to start Monday.

Help!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

ooh, that's tricky!! Not that its her say, but maybe it shows a little respect, ask Jen how she feels about you taking the position. My only thing is, if they treat her this bad, after working for 7 years, I might be a little hesitant myself to get into that..I don't know..ahh!

Maggie said...

I think your pregnancy and the amount of time you would be there make a big difference. Tell Jen that you have been offered the job UNTIL THEY FIND ANOTHER FULL-TIME EMPLOYEE (which will be in a couple months). That's totally true and I think that changes the situation a little bit where it is a transition and not you jumping in and stealing her job. Good luck though. (maybe I'm heartless too).

MBurt said...

My first reaction was to take the job. It could be a blessing for both of you. You the money and experience, and maybe for her it's the extra push for her to stay home and fully commit to that. It sounds like that's where she wants to be anyway. Also, if she has been working from home for that long she should count herself lucky. I don't know her exact job description but I know if I were her client at the gym I would want to see her there. Anyway, take the position but be perfectly clear of your intentions after the baby is born. Good Luck!