Friday, December 7, 2007

Time to Catch Up...









This is the first time I have been able to sit down at a computer to work on our blog. Now that I don't have a regular job I don't have access to the internet very often. So this may be a long one as we have had some fun over the last few weeks...

Lets first talk about our wonderful 1999 green Ford Contour. What a gem it is:). It has been having some issues lately. Two days before Thanksgiving Nate and I were driving back from his school when the car just went dead (in the middle of a busy street). Luckily it started back up and we were able to get it home. We had someone jump us when we got home so that Nate could drive to Wal-mart to get a new battery. Unfortunately he only made it about half way. So he started running the rest of the way (about 2 miles) to Wal-mart. We must remember that the weather that night was so incredibly cold! The jog to Wal-mart wasn't the hard part...it was the jog back with the 50lb. battery that was hard! So where was I during all of this madness? I had to teach a group exercise class at the gym (which is about 10 miles from our house) in an hour so I was frantically searching for a ride or a substitute teacher. I ended up having to call my boss and she came and picked me up. Kind of embarressing.

Now the real drama begins...

Turns out it wasn't just a bad battery, but instead a bad alternater. We called around to find out how much it was going to cost us to have someone replace the alternater and when we found out it was going to be around $700 (I don't even know if the car is worth $700) we started trying to figure out how possible it would be for Nate to replace it himself. So we got a hold of an alternater the next day and Nate and one of his good buddies (Matt) started disecting our car. What a beautiful sight it was when the snow started falling, and falling and falling... It was honestly the biggest blizzard ever. And no we didn't have a car port or garage to work in so Nate and Matt were out in the blizzard. Again where was I during all the drama...Inside trying not to cry. Nate and I were supposed to be driving our car to Washington D.C. to visit Brian and Lindsay for Thanksgiving. The plan was to leave at 8 am so that we could get to D.C. before midnight. It was now almost noon and there was little hope of our car getting fixed. Turns out changing the alternater was a bigger job than Nate thought it would be.

Anyway...the story is getting long so I will sum it all up in a few words. We ended up leaving our dissasembled car in the parking lot, rented a car and left our worries behind. We would face the stress when we got home. We finally took off for D.C. around 4:00 pm which meant that we arrived at Brian and Lindsay's around 7:00 am the next day. Poor Nate had to do 75% of the driving because I am a sissy when it comes to driving through the night. Poor guy! As I replay this story in my mind I am being reminded of just how amazing my husband is, and just was a sissy I am!

Once we made it to D.C. we had a blast. It was sooooooo good to see Brian, Lindsay and the kids. Plus Lindsay and one of her girlfriends made the best Thanksgiving dinner ever! As part of the festivities we had to make these little turkeys and write what we were thankful for on the feathers. At the top of our list...Family, Baby Rencher and our Rental Car!

P.S. we did finally get our car fixed but we ended up having to tow it to the shop (Thanks to Logan and Ashley for helping us do that).








3 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh, how these posts make my Monday mornings fly by!!

Such CUTE pics of you and Nate p.s.

If only I had a million dollars to buy you a new car! =). And myself one..haha.

Is the lovely Ford going to make it to Utah for Christmas do you think??? Oh how I hope so!!

Bekah said...

Megan! What an exciting Thanksgiving adventure, althogh I'm sure that's not what it felt like at the time. And whoever told you it was going to cost $700 was totally trying to rip you off! I hope you found someone to do it cheaper!

I think we should mapquest and see how far you are from State College, PA! Then we could hang out an commiserate in our pregnancy woes! Love and miss you!

www.thegoldiefamily.blogspot.com

Diana said...

Megs, I can't believe you were in DC and I wasn't here!!!! Aggh! Well I'm glad you had a good trip and I'm glad everything with the car worked out. My alternator went out when I was in college and had no money and a really crappy car. I cried a lot too! Love and miss you!